Caring For Your Gold Plated Jewellery
Caring For Your Gold Plated Jewellery.
Plating is a process where a layer of gold is placed on to coat the surface of another metal. The Silver Store’s rose gold and yellow 14ct gold women’s jewellery is all solid sterling silver plated with rose gold. As the jewellery is not 100% solid gold, extra care should be taken to lengthen its lifespan of the plating. Anything plated will eventually wear with time.
To lengthen the time it takes to fade out, here are easy ways on keeping the luster of your gold plated jewellery.
- Do not spray on perfume or other sprays while wearing your gold-plated jewellery.
- Wait until your lotion or cream is dry or has been absorbed by your skin before you wear your gold plated ring, bracelet or necklace.
- Substances like oil, nail polish, nail polish remover, chlorine, and perfume may react with metal/plated jewellery and cause it to tarnish. This is also true for sweat, so make sure you remove your gold plated jewellery when you exercise or doing anything requiring heavy work and when swimming.
- Remove jewellery before you sleep in your plated jewellery as this will reduce the amount of wear.
- Try not to shower or exercise in your jewellery to avoid sweat and shampoos and body wash coming into contact.
- After every use, clean your plated jewellery with a cotton ball or a very soft cloth to remove any dust and dirt. Gently rubbing the surface of your gold plated jewellery using a soft jewellery cloth, helps to restore shine. Do *not* use a polishing cloth as this will strip away the plating.
- If your jewellery needs more cleaning you may clean it with warm, soapy water. Soak it for a few minutes and you may clean it with a soft cloth. Stay away from jewellery cleaners and antibacterial soaps which may have certain components that will make your gold plated jewellery tarnish more quickly.
- To avoid scratches, wrap your jewellery in a soft cloth after cleaning or keep it in a jewellery box separate from other types of jewellery you have. Small zip-locks work great.
- Wearing more than one necklace chains together or more than one pendant on the same chain time will greatly increased wear of plating. Rings and bracelets are very prone to fast wear of plating due to contact with other items while worn on hands or wrists.
- Store like items together. Do not store gold plating and silver plating together. The different metals will cause each other to tarnish, fade and/or turn colours. Have different storage places for different colours of metals like gold and rose gold. Store in a dry area.
The Silver Store warranty does not cover loss, changes in appearance, gradual degradation, damage, breakage due to wear and tear or improper use or storage of your jewellery