Caring for your Sterling Silver Jewellery
All Sterling silver will oxidise with time. But properly maintained silver jewellery improves with age and develops a lush patina. Treat your silver well, care for it properly and it will reward you with a long life and a lustrous look.
The girls from The Silver Store wear their silver jewellery everyday, even exercise, shower and sleep in it but here are some tips for bringing the shine back to your sterling silver pieces.
- Clean your silver jewellery with a mild soap and water solution, allowing the water to bead up, and then patting dry with a very soft cloth. For more stubborn dirt, use a cleaning cloth designed for silver use.
- Store your silver in a cool, dry place, preferably in a tarnish-preventive bag or wrapped in a soft piece of felt or cloth or small zip lock bag.
- Store pieces individually so that they don’t knock together and scratch.
- Do not rub silver with anything other than a polishing cloth. Tissue paper or paper towels can cause scratches because of the fibres in these products.
- Make sure your silver is not exposed to air and light during storage, wearing it more often actually slows the tarnish process.
- Don’t wear sterling silver in chlorinated pools or spas or when working with household chemicals such as bleaches.
- Avoid spraying jewellery with perfumes or contact with skin creams, especially creams that help treat acne or AHA or similar acidic creams that help exfoliate the skin.
You can quickly and easily remove any tarnish with use of a special Silver Cloth to renew the brilliance and shine, our polishing cloths also slow down the tarnishing process so you don’t have to use the cloth often.
Please note: rose gold or yellow gold plated jewellery need more care that full silver jewellery you will find some helpful tips here.